The Ongar War Memorial Hospital was opened in August 1933, some 15 years after the end of the First World War. The former cottage hospital building now is boarded up facing demolition and replacement with an Ongar War Memorial Medical Centre (http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/4655411.ONGAR__New_medical_centre_plans_to_go_on_display/ and http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/searching/ONGAR-Sun-goes-memorial-hospital/article-465207-detail/article.html).
Inside the building was a Roll of Honour, now preserved in the Essex Record Office [ERO A10815].
The document contains a list of several men who fell in the district and is arranged by parish. Those parishes included are: Ongar, Shelley, High Ongar, High Laver, Willingale, Greensted, Kelvedon [Hatch], Stanford Rivers, Stapleford Tawney, Theydon Mount, Stapleford Abbots, Stondon Massey, Lambourne, Fyfield, Berners Roding, Navestock, Moreton, Little Laver, Abbess Roding, Beauchamp Roding, Doddinghurst, Blackmore, Norton Mandeville, and Bobbingworth.
The lists are by far from complete, contain duplications of commemorated names and incorrectly spelt names. This is probably because records were not carefully checked some years after the close of the Great War. (War Memorials erected later than the immediate years after the conflict are known to contain mistakes e.g. Maldon). However, in order to compile a record the Blackmore War Memorial Research Group has noted the names as transcribed.
Names recorded for under ‘Blackmore’ are:
E Barker (properly A E Barker)
H C Game
E C Martin
H Miller (also listed under ‘Doddinghurst’)
E A Maynard
A J Nash
H Riglin (also listed under ‘Doddinghurst’)
J Roast (also listed under ‘Doddinghurst’)
W E Rudley (incorrectly spelt, should be Rudling)
W H Scudder
W H Nash
G W White
G W Piggot (incorrectly spelt, should be Pigott, and added as an afterthought to the list).