Friday 28 May 2010

Blackmore: Thomas Family

Received
21 April 2010

With reference to the Blackmore War Memorial: in tracing back my family history I believe that the J Thomas listed is my great uncle.

Joseph Thomas was born in Blackmore to Henry Richard and Mary Emily Thomas, who I believe lived in Hooks End. His regiment was Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line (inc. Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps) Battalion - Staffordshire Yeomanry (Queens Own Royal Regiment) Number 301803. He died on the 14 October 1918 in Egypt, and is buried in the Alexandria (Hadra) war cemetery.

I have also been led to believe that my grandfather John Thomas may have also served in the same Regiment. I can find no official records of this though.

As far as I am aware the Thomas family lived in Blackmore for a number of years until Henry and Mary died and it then seems that the children scattered.

I hope this is of use to you.

Many thanks for producing a great website.

Clare Goodwin

Replied
21 April 2010

Thank you Clare for contacting me. Please find attached the Group’s research regarding your relatives, in particular Joseph Thomas. [This will be published on http://www.blackmorehistory.co.uk/ww1_joseph_thomas.html in due course]. The family certainly lived in Blackmore but, as you say, must have moved away after Henry’s death in 1899. We find Joseph married and living at Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, at the outbreak of the First World War, so he is not commemorated on the Blackmore War Memorial. Any other information you have would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Andrew

No comments: