Monday 8 September 2008

Highwood: Remembering ... Fred Garnham

Frederick Garnham was killed on 8th September 1914 in the retreat from Mons. His name appears on the War Memorial at Highwood.

Revd Reeve wrote on 30th October 1914: “We hear of the death of Private Fred Garnham, killed in action in France, early in September. Now living at Radley Green near Writtle, his father for some years held the Soap house Farm in Stondon. (His widow afterwards received on his behalf the 1914 Star and Riband issued in commemoration of the Gallantry shown by our “contemptible little Army”)”.

1 comment:

amanda said...

Oh my gosh,

My great grandfather was Fred Garnham. I have been trying to find out information about him and my great great grandparents. Fred was killed when my grandfather (Frederick Garnham) was only a few days old. Would love to have any information. I live in the states.

Sincerely,

Amanda