Friday 8 July 2011

Blackmore: Revd. Simon Lynch

Received 27 May 2011

Hello,

I am Craig Lynch and I am conducting research that leads me to you and I hope you can assist with your data on Blackmore and Simon Lynch.

As I understand things, based upon limited available public records: The Rev. Simon Lynch (Linch) had a son named Ithiell Linch and he was known as Ithiell of North Weld Bassett Co. Essex. That this Ithiell Linch was born crica 1610, married a Blanch Hanbury circa 1632 and they were awarded a Land Patent in 1650. I further understand that this Ithiell Linch traveled to America circa 1650 and died in what was then called Warick, Va in 1684. That he owned 600-acres in pre-colonial America south of Jamestown.

What I am attempting to do, based upon existing records, is to determine who the children of Ithiell Linch - I am inclined to believe that one son was John Linch. If this is the case and factual - then I am a direct descendant of Rev. Simon Linch.

Data available in America reference this family in the 1600 is very limited, notably because St Ann Parish Church was destroyed in the 1680 with most of its records and records are rare because in the 1650's in America, most were just struggling to survive.

Available data tells me that Rev Simon Linch had 10 children, but only Ithiell Linch came to America. I think I am related to this Ithiell Linch.

Can you assist me? Do you have records that prove such or provide insight into the children of Rev Simon Linch?

I would be most indebted if you can assist me.

I am not writing a book, nor doing any of this for profit. I am just attempting to trace back my Family tree to its origins in England and all my years of research keep taking me back to Simon Linch but that link is based upon a researched assumption that Ithiell Linch had a son named John and that said John was the grandson of Rev Simon Linch.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Replied 28 May 2011

Dear Craig

Simon Lynch is a person who I have not studied but come across in my research of the Priory Church of St Laurence, Blackmore. ‘Our’ Simon Lynch was buried at Blackmore aged 60 in 1660 so his birth year must have been 1599/1600. He had four surviving children: Elizabeth, Sarah, Simon, and Ithiel.

The dates you give are before this event but I think there is a strong connection. I believe the same family had clergy at North Weald, a village about six miles from Blackmore, but I have not kept a record. The Churchwardens Presentments for 1664, held at the Guildhall Library (ref: ms 9583/2 part 3) may give some clues. On my visit a few years ago I noted that the entry for North Weald runs to several pages.

I have summarised the family’s connection with Blackmore in my previous blog entry (http://blackmorehistory.blogspot.com/2008/01/blackmore-revd-simon-lynch-puritan.html ) but might add another paragraph to the story:

“His son, Ithiel, was Rector of Runwell between 1669 to 1694, and in 1676 was also recorded as Rector of Downham.”

You might wish to consult the following books:

Newcourt, Ric. History of the Diocese of London – Volume II. (1710). This lists clergy in Essex and is indispensible for church history, and finding your Lynch clergymen.

‘The Ecclesiastical History of Essex Under The Long Parliament and Commonwealth’ written by Harold Smith (Benham and Co Ltd, 1934), from which much of my entry is drawn. Smith refers to our Simon Lynch as a “pluralist … Simon Lynch did not go to Blackmore till after he had lost Runwell” (p.120).There is mention too of “MS J Walker. C.I.27. A long account by Simon Lynch of his father, Simon Lynch of Runwell and Blackmore. See also Walker’s Sufferings of the Clergy – GB Tatham (1911)” (p171).

‘The Annals of Evangelical Nonconformity in the County of Essex from the time of Wycliffe to the Restoration, and memorials of the Essex Ministers who were ejected or silenced n 1660 – 1662’, to give it its full title, written by T W Davids and published in 1863. From the book (from which I noted in 2003) I gleaned that it was Simon Lynch senior of North Weald, who was offered South Weald and declined three times. Married for 61 years to Elizabeth, he had 10 children, one of whom was Simon Lynch of Runwell (and Blackmore).

‘Walker Revised (Being a revision of John Walker – Sufferings of the Clergy during the Grand Rebellion 1642 – 1660)’ written by A G Matthews (Clarendon Press, 1948). I noted the life of our Simon Lynch, to which I can add that his cousin was Dr J Nicholson of Stapleford Tawney.

I trust that this information is of use, at least in guiding you towards further research. I will post this entry onto the site. Do let me know how this all goes.

Kind regards

Andrew

Received 28 May 2011

Andrew,

Thank-you so much for the information. Good to know that Simon of Blackmore had kinfolks in North Weald. I will write back again in a few months and provide my final mapping of these people and the end-product of my research as well to you. I just need to pause at this point and enter all these Simon-Ithiell combinations in the computer and let the database sort them out according to timelines.

The name Simon (father) and son (Ithiell) are such uncommon names and then when they are combined together - I had thought finding the ancient records (ancient by American standards - smiles) would be relatively easy, notably since I was constantly looping back to the Essex area. Only to discover there are several Simon-Ithiell combinations and they are all associated with religion as a source of occupation and they all lived in and around Essex and they existed in the similiar timeframes (minus just a few years) and they all lived in and around each other of only a few kilometers/miles. And they all seem to have some relationship as well to the Lynches of Staples/Grove. At that point I started pulling my hair out, (smiles and laughs) maybe more for lack of patience, because after years of research (all sourced documents) this was the last link to make the English connection.

I can only laugh, at this stage - back to the needle in the haystack search and then again in the 1600's when records are limited. But the data you have provided is most helpful and I am indebted and will share my final research and results with you. Give me a few months ... I will read these books you have recommended.

I have discovered the multiple name father-son combinations of the same and I have also been able to determine that Ithiell (with two 'ls) is not the same Ithiel (with one l). But that they were related as Uncle and Nephew.

Your data and reference material will help. Thanks again for responding so quickly and with the Sourced Documents. I will read them.

I'm focusing right now on Ithiell Linch, who had brothers of Simon, Nathaniel, William, Theophilus, and sister Sara and their father was Simon. This Ithiell's father would have been the Rector of Weald, at least that is what I think today. I think too, here is a connection between Simon of Blackmore and Simon of Weld now I can eliminate the Simon of Blackmore and focus on the Simon of Weld. Then this Ithiell had a son named Simon as well. This Ithiell Linch married a Blanche Hanbury in 1632. And it appears they were awarded a Land Patent by the King in 1650 and traveled to America circa 1650. They also paid for the passage of 10-others to America and that was the reason for the Land Grant, as the King would give 50-acres per each paid passage for others. This Ithiell Linch then died in what used to be called Warwick, VA in 1684.

What is so funny is I have the complete genealogies of the 10-persons that Ithiell Linch paid passage to America, but I can't discover who Ithiell Linch was and from whom and he is the one that paid their passage. Too Funny. Have to love all this research!

I'm getting close - the process of elimination over the years has led me to this Clan of Linches and I just now need to conduct the process of elimination on all these what appear to be related in some form or fashion Simon-Ithiell combinations.

Again, I'll write back in a few months with the final product and will share the data. Thank-you for your help.

P.S. I love your WWW Site on Blackmore. Nicely done and great historical data about the same.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Craig Lynch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello: 1461: Germyn Lynch, Goldsmith, of London; Warden, and. Master Worker of the coin, within the castles of Dublin and Trim, and town of Galway, and Graver of Ponsons. You might want keep him in mind, I think this might be your line of Linch. You would probably connect back to London and all the merchants and Goldsmiths there. Sounds very much like the same family. I am busy looking into one Henry Linch, clerk of the Sequestrations, b:Abt.1600 or so. Look in London !!!. Cheers - Bart.