Monday, 1 March 2010


Welcome to this month’s round-up of local history and heritage in and around Blackmore, Essex.

Chelmsford Museums

A visit to Oaklands Park is highly recommended. There is a general museum charting the history of the Borough and the ‘Essex Regiment Museum’ tracing the County’s military connection. The photo was taken at the official opening weekend in January.

New Priest for Blackmore and Stondon Massey

On 18 February 2010, Revd. Toni Smith was inducted as Vicar of Blackmore, Rector of Stondon Massey and Rural Dean for the Ongar area.

Ongar Millennium History Society

The Society website is a technical wonder covering aspects of the history of Chipping Ongar. It includes video footage of Ongar Station in the days of steam, and the High Street in spring 1946 extracted from their best-selling DVD. Go to:

Ongar Union Workhouse

The Workhouse was at Stanford Rivers. For more information visit:

Blackmore Area Local History

A record number of hits in a single week to was recorded during week ending 14 February. The partner website received 33 visitors. Week ending 21 February also was good, scoring 26 hits.

New Flicker Pictures

Doddinghurst Church, taken in the snow in January 2010:
Fryerning Church, again taken in the snow, taken 19 December 2009:
Norton Mandeville Church interior, uploaded 14 February 2010:
Snowdrops at Stapleford Tawney, uploaded 17 February 2010:


County Churches Trust, including ‘Friends of Essex Churches’:
Stanford Rivers News is a new website:

For an extensive list of links to other sites go to:

No comments: