Tuesday 16 March 2010

Margaretting: The Village With A Beautiful Name


Picture: The Bell Tower. St Margaret's Church, Margaretting

Received
20 February 2010

Good morning Andrew,

I have communicated with you in the past regarding the Sitch family in Blackmore. I also have family from Margaretting, which I see you do not have a lot about on your website. Have you read the books ‘Margaretting. The village with a beautiful name' by Miss G M Baker? There were three volumes. It was written by my father’s cousin.

Regards Julie


Replied
24 February 2010

Hello Julie

Curiously enough I read this trilogy only recently having bought them from a second-hand bookshop a while ago. Miss Baker was born in Margaretting at the tail end of the nineteenth century and the books were published in the early 1980s when she was a senior citizen. For me her childhood memories (in Volume 2) are particularly striking and should be an encouragement to all to write their memoirs.

Regards

Andrew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss Baker and her brother Lewis were the next door neighbours of our family. I was born in the farm cottage next to where they lived, back in 1967, and grew up there from 67 onwards. they both passed away within a few months of each other, my parents still live in the same house. A lovely lady, who when I was a child, used to love to talk to about the changing faces of the village.