Friday 5 November 2010

Blackmore: The Old Manor House

Received
18 October 2010


Dear Andrew,

Hello. I am currently researching my house (The Old Manor House, Church Street) and was wondering if you could help me or point me in the right direction. I am researching it for a university history assignment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Sarah


Replied
19 October 2010

Hello Sarah

Thank you for your E mail. The Essex Record Office has a leaflet about researching house history so they would be the first port of call. Their archivists are extremely useful in giving advice.

Being a property of some note it might be mentioned in the various census returns from 1841 to 1911. The ERO has free access to Ancestry.

It might be a listed building, so check online.

Finally James Bettley in his 2007 update of 'The Buildings of England: Essex' describes the Old Manor house in Church Street as "early C19 gault brick three-bay to front at right angles to the street, the end wall brick with pedimented gable".

Happy researching. Do let me know please how you get on.

Regards

Andrew

No comments: