Monday 28 April 2014

Blackmore: Samuels Family

Received: 16 April 2014

Hello
I'm researching my family history re the above name. Today I visited the church in Blackmore and found 2-3 graves that I believe are my ancestors. How do I go about finding out the information that will tell me the details of these graves? Unfortunately on two of the graves the writing cannot be read clearly. Do I contact the church direct or by other means? Also I wondered if I'm allowed to clean the headstone so it can be read?

I would be grateful for any help and advise you can give me and anything you might know about Samuel Samuels (1790 - 1869).

Many thanks
Mandy Wallis

Replied: 27 April 2014

Dear Mandy

Regarding the location of gravestones in the churchyard of St Laurence Church Blackmore and their inscriptions, the Essex Society for Family History carried out a survey of Blackmore churchyard in 1997 with plan, inscriptions and location of graves.  The results are available to view at the Essex Record Office: reference ERO T/Z 151/109.  I am also aware that there was a copy in the church safe when the then Vicar allowed me to see it.  Any matters relating to the churchyard, cleaning graves etc. should be directed to the Vicarage.  The e mail address is blackmorevicarage@btinternet.com

Regards

Andrew

No comments: