1825: Palmer’s railway plan for Essex
1834: Grand Eastern Counties railway plan a route between London and Norwich via Ipswich
1836 (4 July): Act of Parliament approved – on same day as route from London to Cambridge
1837: Construction begins out of London
1839: Route opened between Mile End and Romford
1840: Route extended, now open between Shoreditch and Brentwood
1841: Colchester became proposed new terminus owing to lack of capital
1843: Route opened through to Colchester. Enabled transport of livestock to London: better quality and prices for farmers.
1844: Gauge width changed throughout from five feet to standard gauge, over two months.
1846: Route extended to Ipswich, achieved for people chaired by Cobbold family
1846: Route extended to Bury St Edmunds
1847: North Woolwich branch opened. Also extension to Hythe, Colchester. Maldon and Braintree branches opened improving agricultural trade in mid Essex. Maldon East station grandly constructed owing to General Election that year. Votes for David Waddington from railway navvies.
1849: Route extended to Stowmarket and Norwich
1854: Route extended to Harwich
1856: London, Tilbury Southend railway open a route to Southend and Tilbury (via Ilford) and Fenchurch Street station.
1862: Eastern Counties Railway amalgamated into Great Eastern Railway. Buildings constructed in a three modular design. For example, Blake Hall, North Weald and Ongar plus Epping with two waiting rooms.
1865: Railway extended from Loughton to Ongar
1889: New Essex Lines opened between Shenfield and Southend, Wickford and Southminster
1896: Light Railways Act enabled the creation of a line between Kelvedon and Tiptree (fruit growing and jam making district) to Tollesbury. Witham and Kelvedon become renowned for seed growing.
Early 20th century: Metropolitan London lines
1920s: Great Eastern Railway creates four tracks between Liverpool Street (London) and Shenfield. London, Tilbury, Southend railway creates four tracks between Fenchurch Street and Upminster.