Sunday 10 August 2014

The Diary of Montague Hardwick Knott, 1957 (18)

Saturday 10.8.57

It hasn’t been such a happy day in some respects especially for my darling. I had been to B’m, taking Annette with me where I found continued progress w the Vicarage. Minnie & H were in the kitchen when I returned & when I spoke of the progress H was scornful & sceptical. […] I do not sufficiently remember that my dear one is twenty years older than I & that all the change & stress of present events are far more trying to one past seventy than to one past fifty.

[…]

Was busy in my study after 2hrs sleep this pm. Finished preparing sermons for tomorrow & planned services for tomorrow week. Called on Mother & Roy for half an hour this eve. Roy is rebuilding the scullery to make a kitchenette & seems to be doing well.


It was a year ago tomorrow that I had a slight stroke. Thinking back on that experience & the sense of impotence, the slurred speech & useless left arm & leg, I rejoice in God’s goodness & my wonderful recovery. I shall never forget the courage of dear H & all she did for me then. 

No comments: