Thursday 28 April 2011

Stondon Massey: Reeve. Extraordinary Connection (3)

The third instalment of the story.

Received 8 March 2011

Good afternoon, Andrew.

I spoke with my aunt today (William Francis Spencer Hawkins daughter). She would be pleased to speak with you about her father. She said she has photos and documents about the Reeve family as well.

I look forward to the developments in our family tree as well!!

Sandy Fitzgibbon

Replied 8 March 2011

Dear Judy

Your niece Sandra has passed me your details. I understand you are the daughter of William Francis Spencer Hawkins. I have a particular interest in the Reeve family: Edward Henry Lisle (1858 -1936), your great uncle, was Rector of Stondon Massey (Essex) from 1893 - 1935, and his father Edward James, Rector from 1849 -1893. Your grandfather was buried at Stondon Massey in December 1916. At that time your father was serving in Greece. The Reeves were rectors of the church my wife and I regularly attend.

I understand that you have some records of the Reeve family which you are willing to share.

I am writing a biography of EHLR for publication in aid of church funds this May, and enclose the draft to date.

I have to say that I am really looking forward to talking to you.

Reeve is not a relative of mine but someone who I have taken an interest because of his hobby as a local historian. (I too am interested in history!)

Kind regards

Andrew

Replied 12 March 2011

Dear Judy

It was lovely to talk to you, and so generous of you to offer papers relating to ‘Lisle’ and the family, which I can assure you will be put to good use.

Many thanks

Andrew


A parcel duly arrived on 31 March 2011 containing books and manuscripts of the Reeve family of Stondon Rectory.

No comments: