Sunday 17 January 2010

Blackmore: Smyth Family (3)































Received
7 January 2010

Andrew-

I just today received a copy of the biography of Sir Stephen Powle. I look forward to reading it thoroughly. Just in a brief scan of the chapters, I find it interesting that he died in 1630. I have theorized that it was around 1630 when Arthur and Thomas left England. It would be interesting to know what may have led to their decision to leave the comfortable environs of their estate. I also find it interesting that it is believed that Thomas and Margaret's children are carved on the side of their tombs.

I think it would be wonderful to get a copy of Sir Thomas' will, but I need to first understand Virginia Stern's citation for it in her footnotes...D/AEW 10/192 at ERO. I suppose that means it is found at the Essex Record Office.

I have contacted a person from the Historic Environment Records Office in London and have inquired about any archaeological info on Smyth's Hall. They apparently have a file, though I am not sure what may be in it. I am off to Raleigh tomorrow to explore some books of immigration to Jamestown during the period around 1630 ... hoping to find more information on the boat and the date of travel for the Smiths. All of this is fascinating and quite good therapy for me as a means of escape from some of my other duties!! My son finds it interesting that he is a descendent of a “Lord”!

So wonderful to share information with you.

Scott


Replied
7 January 2010

Hello Scott. Thanks for your E mail. I confirm that ERO stands for the Essex Record Office, Chelmsford.

Regards

Andrew


Sent
9 January 2010

Hello Scott. As promised please find enclosed a copy of the Smyth crest. It is taken from the grave of Thomas Smyth who died in 1684. He lies by the altar at the Priory Church of St Laurence, Blackmore. To see a complete photograph of his grave and to view a summary of the descendants of John Smyth go to http://www.blackmorehistory.co.uk/john_smyth_descendants.html

Regards

Andrew


Received
9 January 2010

Thank you for this Andrew. I assume all of the crests are the same for the various Smyth tombs. I will have to read more about this Thomas.

Many thanks-
Scott

No comments: