Extract from No. 123. Volume XXXI (July 1922)
Margaretting. An Old Font and Its Cover
By the Rev W J Pressey
After an absence of rather more than half a century, the font cover belonging to the church of Margaretting has been returned, and may now be seen occupying the position for which it was originally intended.
A tradition that it had found its way to the neighbouring church of Buttsbury seemed to be borne out by the statement on page 208 of the Essex volume of the Little Guides series (Methuen) … .
In the case of the Margaretting font cover more than mere tradition was forthcoming to assist in proving its rightful ownership, for in the excellent engraving of the font which appears in Buckler’s Essex Churches, it is shewn with its cover, which is of rather an exceptional type. Needless to say the authorities at Buttsbury recognised the claim and gave every facility for due return of the cover to its font at Margaretting.