Friday 13 January 2012

Blackmore: Smyth Hall


Received 7 December 2011

Andrew-

I hope all is well with you.  I have another question regarding the Smyths of Blakemore and Smyth Hall.  Is there any idea as to the location of the house?  I have seen some pictures in the past of a foundation and some rubble, but I cannot remember that source.  Again at some point I hope to travel there to visit the area.  Thanks as always for your information.

Scott Smith

Replied 24 December 2011

Hello Scott

Nice to hear from you.

Smyths Hall was located to the south of the old village and church just off of what is now called Wenlocks Lane.  It was shown on the Chapman and Andre map of 1777.  If you have an Ordnance Survey map, its approximate site is TQ598007. For more information go to the Unlocking Essex website: http://unlockingessex.essexcc.gov.uk/uep/custom_pages/monument_detail.asp?content_page_id=89&monument_id=1032504&content_parents=48

Regards

Andrew 

No comments: