Friday 16 September 2011

Ongar: The Rebels


I am currently advising Derek Berwin on the names of the fallen in the Blackmore area.  Derek is working on a project to recreate the names of those who gave their lives in the Ongar and district area for commemoration in the new Ongar Health Centre, currently under construction in Shelley on the site of the former Ongar War Memorial Hospital.

Received 31 August 2011

Dear Andrew.

Have you ever come across the ONGAR REBELS?   

It has come up during my year-long research into all the fallen of the Ongar District, of a group called " THE ONGAR REBELS". I had a call from a gentleman in Yorkshire, who found a loving cup inscribed with ONGAR REBELS 1914-  followed by 6 names. I have the names. They are not on the Commonwealth War Graves site of the fallen of that period (WW1)

Derek


Sent 31 August 2011

Dear Derek

I have never heard of Ongar Rebels.  If it is helpful I will edit this e mail for publication on the blog.

Andrew

Received 31 August 2011

Andrew.

Last Sunday a man called Errol Mooney phoned from Yorkshire. He had purchased an antique loving cup inscribed "THE ONGAR REBELS 1914- " It had no end date. Followed by six names.
G HAUGHTON  
G BROOKE
H. WINKEWORTH
H. CHIPPERFIELD.
W. TOWLER
W. PITT
T. BATT.

He searched the web and came up with me and my research into the fallen of Ongar and District and wondered if I could help him. (He is a Royal British Legion member in Yorkshire) I tried the local historians in ONGAR STREET in Shropshire  and ONGAR HILL in Herefordshire, neither had heard of the Ongar Rebels.

A search of the 1911 census has brought up some of the names but there appears to be no connection with their home towns which are scattered and Ongar.

I wonder if through your blog you could cast the net?

Thanks Derek Berwin

No comments: