Friday 17 February 2012

Roxwell: Youngs Newl'd


Received 2 February 2012

Hello Andrew,

I stumbled onto your Blackmore blog when I started searching for anything I could find about Roxwell in the 1400's & 1500's. I was wondering if maybe you could help me out a little. See, I live on the other side of the pond in New York and I'm very interested in my genealogy.

So far, I've been able to trace my surname lineage back to a Thomas Young who was born in Youngs Newl'd, Roxwell, Essex, in 1532. I think his father's name is Thomas Yonge, but I'm not quite sure. So I'm quite interested in the place & period, even if I can't trace the Young name further back.

I can find Roxwell on maps from the 1500's at www.essex.ac.uk/history/esah/essexplacenames/simpleSearch.asp ...but I can't find this Youngs Newl'd spot. Makes me wonder what it means, and I can't even remember now where I found that bit of information originally.

Also, do you know if there's any place online with documents or information about land ownership or church records of births and baptisms for Roxwell? I'm afraid I'd have to actually travel to Roxwell and attempt to track down actual paper documents. That wouldn't be so bad, but I probably wouldn't have the money for that trip until years from now.

I can actually trace his wife's lineage back into the 1400's. Her maiden name was Catherine Wiseman, and she was born in 1536 in Great Canfield, Dunmow. Since her father was named Sir John Wiseman, I'm assuming they were somewhat well off. That leads me to assume he wouldn't let his daughter marry nobody's, which leads me to assume my Young tree had some land ownership in Essex.

I've been stuck on this for about 2 years. Anything you might know, or anything you could point me to, would be helpful. I don't expect you to go track down any paper documents for me.

By the way, I love your blog. History has always fascinated me.

Devon

Replied 3 February 2012

Thanks for your e mail.  You have chosen a good website to search for the location: ‘The Essex Place-Names Project, supported by the Essex Society for Archaeology and History.  I wonder if you have considered the location to be Newland Hall, Boyton Cross, Roxwell?  The earliest year for any church registration records is 1538.  Roxwell records begin in 1559.  For more information, go to the ‘Essex Ancestors’ website, run by the Essex Record Office. 

Wiseman is a name which crops up time and again in Essex.  Clearly your Sir John was a man of some importance.

Regards

Andrew

Received 3 February 2012

Oh thank you! I hadn't consider that "Newl'd" might be short for Newland. I Googled for anything about it, and came across an online copy of an old book of the history of Essex


I've got some reading to do. You're awesome!

Devon

No comments: