The following is taken from Revd. Alfred Suckling’s book, ‘Memorials of the antiquities and architecture, family history and heraldry of the County of Essex’ (John Weale, London, 1845).
Morant fancies that this village derived its name from a Roman milestone which stood somewhere near, and this supposition appears very probable, as the Watling Street passed through the parish; Ing-at-the-Stone would, therefore, signify, in the Saxon language, the fields near the milestone.
The church, which is a rectory, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, comprises a large and lofty tower of red brick, a nave and chancel, with a south aisle to each, and a chapel, now used as a vestry, attached to the north side of the latter. The columns of the nave are composed of four clustered cylinders, finished with plain moulded capitals, while those in the chancel are octangular. The whole interior presents a gloomy and heavy appearance, arising principally, I think, from a want of that loftiness which so peculiarly distinguishes and embellishes Gothic architecture.
The entire aisle of the chancel, and the chapel on the opposite side, are appropriated as burial places by the family of Petre, who not only possess the principal estate in the parish, but formerly resided at Ingatestone Hall, a fine old mansion which will be presently noticed. Several altar tombs, with recumbent and kneeling figures of marble, in the taste of the sixteenth century, will be seen here, erected to various members of this family. Against the north wall of the chancel is a mural monument to the memory of Mr. Hollis, the well-known antiquary, bearing the following inscription
Thomas Brand Hollis, Esqre, of the Hyde, F.R.S. and S.A., died September 9th, 1804, aged 84. In testimony of friendship and gratitude, this monument is erected by John Disney, D.D., F.S.A.
Timothy Brand Hollis, Esqre, died the 5th of January, 1734, aged fifty-one years.
Ingatestone Hall stands about half a mile southward of the church, and was, in its perfect state, a very large mansion: three sides only now remain, much disfigured by the introduction of modern windows and doors.