Friday, 31 July 2009

Hutton: Revd. A. Suckling. Memorials (1845)

The following is taken from Revd. Alfred Suckling’s book, ‘Memorials of the antiquities and architecture, family history and heraldry of the County of Essex’ (John Weale, London, 1845).

This village is in the hundred of Barnstable. From the Saxon At-a-how, and How-tun, we have the modern Hutton, signifying the village on the hill. The manor has been held in late days by the families of Cory and Forbes; and on the death of James Forbes, Esq., in 1820 was purchased by the late Alderman Scholey. The entire parish is rated at £758 towards the land tax.

The church is dedicated to All Saints, and was formerly appropriated by the monks of Battle Abbey, in Sussex, who enjoyed its revenues till the dissolution of religious houses, and subsequently to that important event they have passed with the manor.

The advowson of the vicarage has been possessed by the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s ever since the year 1325.

As to the architecture of this very small edifice, it may be described in a few words. A roof of tile covers at one slope a nave with its two aisles, separated by an arcade of pointed arches, resting on columns composed of four cylindrical clustered shafts, having plainly moulded capitals, and corresponding bases. Attached to the eastern extremity is a chancel of suitable proportions, but having no pretensions to architectural embellishment or taste. At the west end is a small wooden turret, supported internally by beams of timber, which contains five bells. The font is a modern circular bason, presented in 1719, standing on an ancient octangular base. A north and south door, opening into the centre of the walls of their respective aisles, originally afforded entrance to the congregation, and each was furnished with a picturesque porch of carved wood-work. That on the south side is, however, now closed with masonry, and its porch demolished.


On a small parchment, inclosed in a black frame and covered with glass, are recorded the following benefactions to the parish of Hutton:-

“WHITE’S CHARITY – 20th of June, 17th of Queen Elizabeth. By indenture, George White of Hutton, Esquire, did enfeoff and convey unto John Payne and George Wharton, arid other persons, and their heirs, all that croft of land called Portgere, containing 9 acres, lying in Hutton. In trust, to receive yearly for ever the rents and profits, and according to their discretion to give and dispose thereof to such poor people as now do, or shall in time to come, inhabit in the parish of Hutton, as live in great poverty, necessity, or want. Also, in repairing the parish church of Hutton from time to time as it is required.

“7th December, 1813. - By deed, then dated, the following persons were appointed trustees of the above charity: James Forbes, Esqr.; James Mabbs, Gentleman; John French, ditto; Edward Abrams, Farmer.”

“Also, the interest of one thousand pounds, three per cent, redeemed stock, bequeathed to the minister and churchwardens of the parish of Hutton, for the benefit of the poor of the said parish, by the late Mr. Stephen Martin, Gentleman, of Brentwood, who died the 9th of January, 1805.”


Of these Hutton Church furnishes but few. On a stone, now lying transversely on the floor of the chancel, and near the first step of the communion rails, are two figures in brass, representing a warrior and his lady. At their feet appears a family group, consisting of eight sons and as many daughters. The inscription and armorial cognizance originally appertaining to these are lost, so that we cannot recover the names of these persons, though their dress unequivocally refers the period of their existence to the latter portion of the fifteenth century, and probably to about the reign of Richard the Third.

The value of these sepulchral brasses, as faithful specimens of costume, is exceedingly great; and their fidelity in this point is most decidedly proved, by comparing those of parallel dates in various quarters of the kingdom. From Northumberland to the Land’s End, we shall find a wonderful similarity, as well in execution as in design. I may further observe, of these sepulchral monuments, that their origin and decline are marked by very distinct and remarkable differences. They seem to have been introduced at once, large and bold, yet simple and elegant. They ended in complicated design, and tasteless execution. Within a century of their first appearance, they had nearly reached their perfection, and as the arts are justly thought to be ever on the increase or the wane, they gradually declined from that period in size and elegance. Indeed, after 1500, we rarely meet with a beautiful example of this species of decoration. Half a century later and they had wofully degenerated; innumerable scratches supplying the place of bold and sweeping outlines, and destroying that breadth of effect which is equally pleasing in these monumental effigies, as in the higher art of painting. I find the usage of this species of monument lingering on, still reduced in size, till so low a date as 1685, when they had become mere caricatures. I have met with no examples later than this period, nor is it probable that many exist. It may he mentioned, in addition to these observations, that at the era of the first introduction of these monuments, the figures were single and large; and the only ornament, independent of that attached to the person, was a shield or two of arms, placed near the head of the warrior. But these were soon extended to four escocheons, one laid at each corner of the stone. Next followed a slight canopy; the figure still remaining single, and principally, if not entirely, appropriated to males. The next change in the progress of this kind of funereal decoration was the introduction of female effigies, the wife being represented as standing beneath an arched canopy by the side of her husband, and in the devotional attitude adopted from the first. The curve of the arches in these canopies accorded strictly with that used in the buildings of a like era, and may at last be found nearly flat. The legend, commemorative of the actions and obituaries of the deceased, was usually a circumscription of brass, deeply engraven, and placed near the figures, if on a flat stone; but round the edge, bevelled off, if laid on an altar-tomb. About the year 1400, however, this usage fluctuated a little, and soon after gave way entirely to an inscription, sometimes placed at the head, but most commonly at the feet of the effigies.

Increasing in ornament with the increasing fashion for architectural enrichment, we at length find these figures attended with their children, and kneeling before faldstools or low altars, and not unfrequently splendidly enamelled and gilt. In this case, however, they were attached to the walls, as walking over them would speedily have destroyed their beautiful finishing. Occasionally, about this period, the conjoined position of the hands is opened, and the figures thrown into a more lively attitude. After the middle of the fifteenth century, the custom of placing the figures on the bodies of lions and dogs seems to have gone by; and they are represented as either kneeling on cushions or standing on a plot of ground, which finally became highly ornamented with leaves and flowers. Subsequently to the reign of Henry the Seventh, we rarely, if ever, meet with canopies; and the usage, as well as the execution of brass sepulchral monuments rapidly declined, till the time of Queen Elizabeth, after whose reign they are below criticism.

To develope, by a series of drawings, the gradual and successive changes in these very beautiful monumental memorials, would be a pleasing, though laborious, task; yet one which the second consideration would not deter the writer from undertaking, had he still possessed the sketches from which his drawings were originally made. His present mass of materials, however, though considerable, must be still enlarged, which his almost daily occupation and increasing love of the subject is rapidly effecting; and it is not improbable, that should health and eyesight be continued to him by the gracious Dispenser of these blessings, he may eventually produce a volume, in MS., at least*, exhibiting, in distinct classes, the progressive changes which all-powerful fashion has wrought in the military, ecclesiastic, and feminine costumes of our ancestors. And surely the simplest notices of those men must ever be delightful and instructive, whose wisdom has formed the groundwork of our excellent constitution, and whose valour achieved the glories of Crecy, of Poictiers, and of Agincourt.

But to return from this long digression. The next monument to be noticed in the church of Hutton lies also in the chancel. It is a small plate of brass thus inscribed, in black letter:-

Here lyeth George White, Esquier, the sonne of Richard White, the sonne of Richard White, Esquiers, which George died the xiv day of June, in the yere of our Lord God 1584.

This is undoubtedly the monument of the George White, mentioned in a former page, as a benefactor to the poor of Hutton.

On mural slabs, in the south aisle, are the two following memorials:-

1. To the memory of Thomas Cory, Esqre, Lord of this manor of Hutton, borne at Greate Fransom, in county of Norfolke, one of the Benchers of the Inner Temple, London, Chiefe Protonotory of the Court of Common Pleas at Westminster, who, after 18 yeares faithfull discharge of that office, devoutly resigned up his soule into the hands of God his Saviour, the 16 Of December, 1656, aetatis suae 65. This monument was erected by his most sad and deere wife, Judith, one of ye daughters of Sir Christopher Clitherow, Knight, and sometimes Lord Major of the city of London.

Also, the saide Judith departed this life the sixth day of June, 1663, and lies interred by her most deere and lovinge husband neere this place.

2. Sacred to the memory of James Forbes, Esquire, of this parish, and of Kingerlock, in the county of Argyle, in North Britain, who departed this life on the 23rd of March, 1829, aged 76 years.

Also, of Charlotte, (his first wife,) who departed this life on the 17th of July, 1794, aged -- years.

And also of Sarah, (his second wife,) who departed this life at Cheltenham on the 7th of Feb. 1831, aged 49 years.

Friday, 24 July 2009

Fyfield: Revd. A. Suckling. Memorials (1845)

The following is taken from Revd. Alfred Suckling’s book, ‘Memorials of the antiquities and architecture, family history and heraldry of the County of Essex’ (John Weale, London, 1845).

Fifield [Fyfield] is the modern spelling and pronunciation of this village, which, in earlier days, was written Fifhide; and is derived from the Saxon Fif, five, and Hyde, a quantity of land. In the Conqueror’s reign the parish belonged to Eustace, Earl of Boulogne.

The church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas, and the tithes were given, in the year 1094, to the monastery of Bermondesey, by Roger de Tany, one of the knights of John Fitz-Waleran - that nobleman giving his sanction to the endowment. In 1107 these tithes were confirmed to that monastery by Maud, wife of Asculph, and by her son Graald or Grailand de Tany, who at the same time gave to that religious establishment the advowson of the church, which grant was confirmed by kings Henry the First and Second. Notwithstanding these gifts, this church was wrested from the monks before the year 1331, and, strange to say, even before they had obtained an act for appropriating the tithes. The name of this spirited opponent of monastic rapacity has not survived. The rectory has ever since been attached to the manor. The whole parish is rated to the land-tax at £1372 2s. 4d.

Fifield church is a jumble of architectural styles - of architectural elegances, and modern barbarisms. Its Norman tower, standing in the centre of the building, is surmounted by a wooden incumbent, as incongruous as tastelessness could devise, while its chancel, internally rich in that species of pure and elegant Gothic which distinguished the earliest portion of the fourteenth century, is marred by the presence of those unseemly uprights and transoms which have displaced the ramified tracery once so ornamental there. Nor is this the only spoliation Fifield has to regret. Not fifty years since, as I learn from a well-informed inhabitant, the interior of this edifice was actually darkened with that solemn but rich gloom - the effect of stained glass - which has given place to a glare unwarmed by a single tint. An ornamented piscina, with three stalls for the ministers officiating at the ceremonies of the Romish altar, still remain, and but little injured. While the visitor will gaze with increasing admiration upon the beautiful fillet of foliage in stone-work, which surrounds the entire aperture of the large eastern window, will it be credited, that this specimen of taste and munificence remained till within these very few years covered with plaster and whitewash?

The nave and aisles have been so much altered by external modifications as to induce a supposition, at first sight, that they are of a date very inferior to the rest of the edifice; a glance, however, at its original western entrance, now converted into a window, its cylindrical and octangular columns, and the pointed arches resting upon these, convince us that they are at least coeval with the chancel, if not of a date somewhat anterior. A large and square font of grey marble carved with knots and semicircular arcades, witnesses to its own antiquity, and completes the ornaments of this venerable structure, with the exception of a niche, now statueless, placed at the north east angle of the aisle.

There is, however, worthy of observation, a singular arch, seen externally beneath the east window of the chancel. The three quatrefoils in the head of this seem once to have been perforated, and lead to a puzzling conjecture as to their original purpose. At first, I was inclined to imagine that the floor of the chancel might have been at one time raised sufficiently high to admit of a vault or crypt beneath it, to which these openings would suitably enough have afforded air and a glimmering of light but an inspection of the interior immediately refuted such a notion. Could they possibly have been used to produce any effect at the high altar? There are also two or three arches, now closed with masonry, very singularly situated in the lower part of the tower on the south side, the uses of which it is equally difficult to explain.


In the interior of the church are the following monumental records:-

1. Here lies the late virtuous and lamented Mrs. Ann Beverley, who was born 13th of August, 1680, and died September 29th, 1702 ; which Ann was the eldest daughter of James, the eldest son of Thomas Beverley, late of Gaynes Park, in the county of Huntingdon, Esqre, and Ann, his wife, the daughter of Thomas Duncombe of Broughton, in the county of Bucks, Esqre. The above named Thomas Beverley, and his wife Elizabeth, lye interred on the left hand of this stone, close to it.

2. Here lies the body of Thomas Brand, Esqre, who departed this life the 7th of October, 1718.
Also, Margaret, relict of the said Thomas Brand, Esqre., who departed this life 29th of August, 1767.

3. Here lyeth the body of John Collins, the elder, who departed this life the 18th of August, 1729, in the 82 year of his age.
Also, the body of Mary, his wife, who departed this life the 28th day of Febry, 1732, in the 81st year of her age.

4. Here lieth the body of John Collins, late of Sambpitts in this parish, Esqre, who depart this life September 17th, 1750, in the 74th year of his age.
He was a good and affectionate husband, father, and friend; and as he lived in the practise of every Christian virtue, so he met death with great composure of mind, from a stedfast hope of a joyful resurrection and the life everlasting.
On the right hand side lyeth his wife, Mrs. Mary Collins, and their son John Collins, who died June 23rd, 1731, in the 19th year of his age.

5. Here lies the body of Mrs. Mary Collins, the wife of John Collins, the younger, of this parish, Gent., who lived virtuously, and died much lamented, the 9th of October, MDCCXIV, in the xxx year of her age.

In the chancel are the following armorial ensigns on escocheons against the wall:-
1. Berwick . . . Arg. three bears’ heads erased sable, muzzled, or.
2. Sable, two swords saltirewise arg. pommelled, within a bordure engrailed argent.
3. Vert, a griffin erect or, impaling –
4. Gules, a saltire argent, on a chief of the second, three griffins’ heads erased of the field.

This church is kept in a very neat and reputable state.

I forgot to observe in its proper place, that amongst the heads carved on the stalls in the chancel, is a grotesque face, with a fool’s cap.

Friday, 17 July 2009

Willingale: Revd. A. Suckling. Memorials (1845)

The following is taken from Revd. Alfred Suckling’s book, ‘Memorials of the antiquities and architecture, family history and heraldry of the County of Essex’ (John Weale, London, 1845).

Willinghale Spain and Willinghale Dou, two parishes so called from their ancient possessors, are united in a more than ordinary degree by the circumstance of their two churches standing in one cemetery. The cause of this singularity, it seems, at the present day, impossible to explain. The distinctive names, however, of these villages, as may readily be supposed, are derived from their ancient owners, one of whom appears to have been of French, and the other of Spanish origin. The largest of these parishes is named from the family of D’Eau, now corrupted into Dou and Doe.

In the reign of Henry the Second, William de Ou held four knights’ fees, and Hugh de Ou one, under Geoffry de Mandeville, Earl of Essex. This parish contains about fourteen hundred acres.

Willinghale Spain is so called from the family of De Hispaniâ, which seems to have been seated in Essex from the time of the Norman Conquest till the reign of Edward the Second. Their principal residence was at Spain’s Hall in the parish of Finchingfield, near Braintree, which lordship was held by Hervey de Hispaniâ, under Alan the Fierce, in the eleventh century.

Willinghale Spain contains only nine hundred acres, and is rated to the land tax at £547. We will now examine, separately, the two churches of these villages. That of


Is the smallest of the two, and stands at the south-east corner of the cemetery. It is dedicated to Saint Andrew and All Saints. This is by far the most ancient structure; exhibiting small round-headed loopholes, as well as lancet windows and Norman doorways; the latter being profusely ornamented with iron work, spreading in various devices over the entire doors, though the stonework is entirely devoid of decoration. A finely proportioned pointed arch divides the nave from the chancel; neither of which possesses aisles or chapels, while a small turret of wood, at the western end, supplies the place of a bell-tower. William de Hispaniâ gave this church to the Priory of Blackmore, for the health of the souls of his father and mother, and of himself and his wife. Monkish rapacity accordingly endowed a vicarage, dividing the profits of the living between the convent and the vicar, who was thenceforth nominated by the Bishop of London, and presented by the prior. At length, the vicar’s income, which was only five marks a year, being found too small for his subsistence, he petitioned Bishop Braybroke that the ordination of the vicar age might be annulled, and the whole profits go to the maintenance of a rector, reserving to the convent a pension of forty shillings a year, to pray for the souls of William de Hispaniâ and his relations; all which was ratified under the bishop’s seal, on the 13th of January, in the year 1398. At the dissolution of monasteries, the right of presentation to this rectory came to the Crown, but the nomination has ever continued with the Bishop of London.

The monuments in this church are few and inconsiderable, yielding in this respect much to the sister church of Dou. That which claims our first notice derives its consideration from the singularity of its design, rather than from its size or the costliness of its material. It somewhat resembles a book, fastened by one side against the south wall of the chancel, being about a foot in length, and eight or ten inches in width. On the outside of the cover, which is of wood, and moves on metal hinges, is an escocheon of Beulie’s arms and quarterings.

And on the inside of this cover is a second shield, charged with the same bearings. impaling the following coat:

The interior of this whimsical contrivance contains a sheet of parchment, fixed to the other cover, on which are emblazoned several shields Beaulie’s arms, single, and adapted in point of shape to the sex of the deceased: they are represented as affixed to the pillars of a Grecian arch, in the centre of which are written the following conceited verses, while a brief memorial of the birth and death of each person is subjoined to each escocheon:-

The time of the lives and deaths of the children of EDWARD BEAULY, Doctor in Divinity, and LINE his wife.
Line, the eldest, born and baptized at Writtle the 6th of February, 1613, and lieth buried in the chancell there. She was buried the xi of February, 1633.
Jane, the next, borne the 17 of May, 1615; buried the 13 of Julye, 1638.
Thomas, second sonne, borne on the second of March, 1623; buried the 22 day of May, 1626.
Thomas, third sonne, born on the 13 of March, 1628; buried the 25 of May, 165:;
Francis, seaventh daughter, borne on the xi of May, 1626 ; buried the 28 of September, 1630.
Jane, the ninth child, mar. to Edward Beaulie, and Line, his wife, was borne the 21 of Aprill, 1631 ; buried the 24 of June, 1632.
Here lieth the body of John Markham, late of Pater Noster Row, London, Esqre, who departed this life the 4th day of October, 1757, aged 73 years.
Also the body of Elizabeth, his wife, who departed this life 5th day of April, 1761, aged 62 years.
Here lies the body of Penelope, daughter of Anthony Nicholas, Minister of this place, wife of George Fulford, of London, Linen draper, who died the 13th of 9-ber, in the year of our Salvation 1667, and in the 22 of her age. Shee left issue one son, named George, 6 months old.
Here Iyeth Joseph Kello, being xiii years of age, departed this life the last day of September, 1614. He was sun to Mr. Bartholemew Kello, Minister of Christ’s Evangle, and Parson of Willingale Spain.
Here lieth lssac Kello, being ix years of age, departed this life 13th of July, 1614. He was son of Mr. Bartholemew Kello, Minister of Christ’s Evangell.

This church being dedicated to All Saints, the parish is sometimes, though not very frequently, called Willinghale All Saints.


This church, like that of Spain, comprises simply a nave and chancel without aisles. It is however a larger structure, and has a lofty square tower standing at the western end. A beautifully proportioned pointed arch divides the body of the church from the chancel, which possess no other architectural feature worthy of observation, if we except the windows of the latter; these have very acutely pointed tracery inserted beneath a square-headed water-label: the effect, however, is very pleasing. This church is also a rectory, dedicated to Saint Christopher.


The hands of sacrilege have destroyed many ancient sepulchral brasses in this church; and of the three which are spared, not one remains uninjured. Beginning in chronological order, we must first notice the effigy of a warrior, lying on the floor of the nave; he is standing in the usual devotional attitude, clothed in armour, his head bare, and his feet resting on a dog. Besides a few minor injuries, the black- letter inscription originally attached has been forcibly removed, but the armorial ensigns, which still remain on a shield near the head of the figure, shew that the person here interred was a member of the ancient family of Torrell, of Torrell’s Hall, in this parish. From the bulls, the cognizance of this far descended line, Mr. Morant infers that they assumed their surname from the Latin Taurus, thus deriving the cause from the effect. In the report of landowners contained in Domesday, the name of Torold is of frequent occurrence; and amidst the rude delineations in that invaluable relic of antiquity, the Bayeaux Tapestry, a figure is portrayed, over whose head is written, “Hic est Turold.” Now, it is a fact no longer controverted, that armorial bearings date their origin from a period considerably lower than the Norman Conquest, and at this very time we find the Terrolds in possession of that surname. The costume of the effigy in question points decidedly to about the year 1400, when we may assume this gentleman was interred.

Within the altar-rails lies a second mutilated effigy belonging to this family. It represents a female in the rich dress of the age in which she flourished, and who, it seems, was a daughter of Humphrey Torrell, Esq., and widow of John Sackville, of Buckhurst, in the county of Sussex, Esq. The arms, placed on the same stone, are those of Sackville impaling Torrell.

No other records of this old family exist within the walls of the church; but against the south side of the chancel is a huge and clumsy monument, representing, in stiff and execrable taste, the recumbent figure of a knight in armour, while two ladies, in very much smaller proportion, kneel in recesses on the upper part of this tomb. At the very top is placed an inscription to the memory of Richard Wisernan, Esq., and his wife, parents of the knight represented by the large figure beneath, who were buried in the church of St. Lawrence Pounteney, London. It is impossible to read what filial piety has there inscribed, without the assistance of a ladder, but a perusal of the inflated language on a lower slab of marble will be amply sufficient. Could we believe Sir Robert Wiseman to have been really possessed of all the virtues and accomplishments therein ascribed to him, we might unfeignedly blush for our own degeneracy. But here are the words themselves:-

Robertus Wisernan, de Torrells Hall in com. Essex, Eques Auratus, Richardi Wisernan, Armig. supra nominati primogenitus filius et haeres Vir generosissim, corporis et animi dotibus ornatus, pius, candidus, quadratus, litis expers, sibi et suis constans, philodelph., philomus., literar. et literat. patron. opt., vicinis amicabilis, sociabilis, hospitalis, egenis beneficus, omnibus aequus, summam existimationë et benevolentia ob facetu ingenium, foelice memoriarn suavern et innocuam conversationem consecut.; cum corporis castitatem quinque supra sexaginta annorum coelibatu comprobasset, et valetudine integerrimâ vixisset, animam sponso suo Jesu Christo pie et placide reddidit; atque hoc dormitorio cui ipse vivens se mortuum designavit in spe resurrectionis ad gloriam, obiit xi die Maij, Ano. Dni. 1641, aetatis sua lxv.
Hoc monumentum ipse per ult. suum testamentum dulcissimis parentib. et sibi fieri curavit cuius solus Executor Richardus Wiseman, Miles, ejus prox frater et Haeres, fidei et officii ergo religiosè persolvit.

Here lieth the body of that most excellent lady, Winifred Wiseman, wife to Richard Wiseman, of Torrells Hall, Esq and daughter to Sir John Barrington, of Hatefeld Broad Oak, in the county of Essex, and Barronett, &c.

A brass effigy on the chancel floor has attached to it an epitaph, which the inscription informs us, is placed to the memory of “Dorothy Brewster, wife to Thomas Brewster, Esqre, and daughter to Sir Thomas Jocelin, Knight, who deceased the seaven and twenty of June, and was buryed the one and twenty of July, 1613.”

The cause of this unusually long postponement of her funeral rites is not mentioned.

Here lieth the body of Sir John Salter, Knight, Alderman of Corn-Hill Ward, in the City of London. He was Sheriff in the year 1785, and he served the high office of Lord Mayor in the year 1740, and behaved in both stations with great dignity, strict honour, and unbiassed fidelity, He was a good magistrate; a tender husband; an indulgent father; and most sincere friend ; and in all conditions of life, appeared a just man, and a true Christian. He died 1st of June, 1744, in the 60th year of his age.

Salter bears, Gules, ten billets or, 4. 3. 2. 1., within a border engrailed azure, bezanty.

Mrs. Deborah Salter, wife of the late Mr. Thos Salter, linen draper, of Cornhill, London, and daughter of Robert Cole, Esqr., and Deborah his wife, and twins with her only brother, Robert Cole, Esqr, now of Warden’s Hall, in this parish.
Also, Mr. Robt. Salter, her eldest son, late linen-draper, of Cornhill, London, to whose memory this monument is erected, An. 1730.
Robert Cole, Esqre, and Ann his wife, who died 1733, and are buried in this chancel.
Here lies the body of Mrs. Anne Cole, late wife of Robert Cole, Esqr, of Warden’s Hail, who departed this life November 28th, 1732, aged 75 years.
Also, here lies the above Robert Cole, Esqre, who departed this life August 21st, 1733, aged 82.

The following arms will he found attached to their respective monuments in this church:-

1. COLE.- . . . . a bull passant . . . . impaling . . . . party per chevron . . . . 3 talbots’ heads eras
2. SALTER impales, or; a cross engrailed party per pale argent and azure.
3. WISEMAN. - Sab. a chev. int, three coronels of tilting spears arg. impales sable, a chev. inter three storks erect argent.

The coronels in the arms of Wiseman are a pun upon the name, signifying that a wise man always prefers blunt weapons to pointed spears.

SACKVILLE, impales Torrell . . . . a fess between three bulls’ heads couped …

The font, omitted to be noticed in its proper place, is an octagon, having its sides carved with the sculpture so common on this shaped ornament. The tower contains four bells.

The interiors of both these churches are kept in a very dirty and neglected state, reflecting much disgrace on all connected with them.

Friday, 10 July 2009

Ingatestone: Revd. A. Suckling. Memorials (1845)

The following is taken from Revd. Alfred Suckling’s book, ‘Memorials of the antiquities and architecture, family history and heraldry of the County of Essex’ (John Weale, London, 1845).

Morant fancies that this village derived its name from a Roman milestone which stood somewhere near, and this supposition appears very probable, as the Watling Street passed through the parish; Ing-at-the-Stone would, therefore, signify, in the Saxon language, the fields near the milestone.

The church, which is a rectory, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, comprises a large and lofty tower of red brick, a nave and chancel, with a south aisle to each, and a chapel, now used as a vestry, attached to the north side of the latter. The columns of the nave are composed of four clustered cylinders, finished with plain moulded capitals, while those in the chancel are octangular. The whole interior presents a gloomy and heavy appearance, arising principally, I think, from a want of that loftiness which so peculiarly distinguishes and embellishes Gothic architecture.

The entire aisle of the chancel, and the chapel on the opposite side, are appropriated as burial places by the family of Petre, who not only possess the principal estate in the parish, but formerly resided at Ingatestone Hall, a fine old mansion which will be presently noticed. Several altar tombs, with recumbent and kneeling figures of marble, in the taste of the sixteenth century, will be seen here, erected to various members of this family. Against the north wall of the chancel is a mural monument to the memory of Mr. Hollis, the well-known antiquary, bearing the following inscription

Thomas Brand Hollis, Esqre, of the Hyde, F.R.S. and S.A., died September 9th, 1804, aged 84. In testimony of friendship and gratitude, this monument is erected by John Disney, D.D., F.S.A.
Timothy Brand Hollis, Esqre, died the 5th of January, 1734, aged fifty-one years.

Ingatestone Hall stands about half a mile southward of the church, and was, in its perfect state, a very large mansion: three sides only now remain, much disfigured by the introduction of modern windows and doors.

Friday, 3 July 2009

Runwell: Revd. A. Suckling. Memorials (1845)

The following is taken from Revd. Alfred Suckling’s book, ‘Memorials of the antiquities and architecture, family history and heraldry of the County of Essex’ (John Weale, London, 1845).

Runwell is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13 per annum, of which the yearly tenths are fixed at £1 6s. The church is a regular structure, comprising a nave, chancel, and two aisles, with a square tower containing four bells.

In the chancel is the following inscription in old English characters:-

1 Here doe lie Ewstace Sulyard, Esquier, and Margarett Ayloff, sometime his wyfe, who had to her first husbande Gregory Ballet, Esquier, by whome she had yssue Dorothie, her only daughter and heyer, arid now wyfe unto Anthonie Maxey, Esquier; and to her second husband she had the sayd Ewstace Sulyard, between whome they had yssue Edward Sulyard, Esquier, their sonne and heyer, and Mary, Margaret, Jane, Anne, and Bridget, their daughters; and to her thirde and last husbande she had William Ayloff; of Brittens, Esquier, by whome she had no yssue; which said Ewstace Sulyard died in Februarie, in the first yeare of King Edwarde the Sixte, and the said Margaret died the fifte of Februarie in the ix and twentyeth yeare of our soueragne queene Elizabeth.

Occupying a most beautiful situation, about a mile and a half from the church stands the remains of


The gable represented is nearly all that a destructive fire has left of this spacious edifice, which, in its original state, must have been a truly noble and extensive building. It derives its name from the family of Flernyng, who possessed a lordship so called from a very early period; this manor, however, passed by marriage to the Sulyards, whose arms, quartered, remain in the centre compartment of the lower window to the present time. And to the Sulyards, and not to the Flemyngs, I should ascribe the building of the existing mansion, as both the style of architecture and the armorial bearings would indicate. The house and estate remained long with their descendants, and now form part of the possessions of Sir John Tyrrell of Boreham House, near Chelmsford; but by what tenure or transfer the Tyrrells obtained it I have not been informed.

The original structure in its entire state, like all large mansions of that period, inclosed a court-yard, and was defended by a deep moat. Considerable remains of the latter are visible, strengthened still further by a lofty embankment of earth on the inner side.

Above one hundred spacious apartments, and a large chapel, finely vaulted with stone, were contained in this quadrangle; while the interior fittings corresponded with such magnificence, stained glass in great profusion, tapestry, that favourite ornament of our ancestors, and paintings, by eminent masters, sparkled in the windows and adorned the walls. Many of these decorations have been removed by the Tyrrells, and are said to enrich the apartments of their present residence.

External proofs of the same noble feeling are not wanting at Flemyng’s. The beauties of nature (who wantons here in her most luxuriant garb) were assisted by the hand of art, and an extensive park, fine canals, a large warren, and delightful woods, must have rendered this residence one of the most attractive spots in the neighbourhood of the metropolis; and it is difficult to account how fashion should have so far overcome taste as to compel the latter to abandon Flemyng’s Hall to neglect and dilapidation.

Wednesday, 1 July 2009


Welcome to this month’s round-up of local history and heritage in and around Blackmore, Essex.

High Country History Group

Blackmore Area Local History is pleased to promote the High Country History Group by launching a mini site devoted to the four small parishes of Greensted, Stanford Rivers, Stapleford Tawney and Theydon Mount to the west of Ongar, Essex. As with the main site, which launched pages covering ten neighbouring parishes to Blackmore in March this year, the site is set up to enable it to grow as more information and pictures are added. The Group, which publishes a Journal every quarter meets five times a year at Toot Hill Village Hall. The Winter Programme for 2009/10 will be announced soon. To see the new mini site go to:

Church Website Makeover

The Priory Church of St Laurence, Blackmore with St Peter & St Paul, Stondon Massey, has had a website for a few years but it is now undergoing a major update ahead of the formal search for a new Vicar / Rector for the parishes. The site includes a Gallery of pictures which may be of interest to our readers. A picture of the interior of Stondon Massey Church is shown above. Take a look:

Bariff’s Farm Mystery

Last month I mentioned Heather Tomkins’ enquiry about the location of Bariff's Farm, supposedly in Mountnessing. From further information received from Heather, stating that the farm was near Gooseberry Green and Mountnessing Grange, I suggested that the farm was, in fact in Billericay. Further conversations have established that Mountnessing parish stretched as far as Gooseberry Green, covering Little Cowbridge Farm, and Great Cowbridge Farm, the other side of the Shenfield to Southend railway line, certainly as late as 1912. Does anyone out there have any further information?

Essex Radio

Sorry to be nostalgic, but ‘Essex FM’ passed into radio history on 22 June. Its previous station name, ‘Essex Radio’ began broadcasting in 1981. Apart from local programmes at breakfast time and ‘drivetime’, all the output from the new sounding radio station, Heart, is being broadcast from London.

‘Longpier’ refers to the demise of Essex FM: “Of course the decision to rebrand is an effort to save money, and boost advertising revenue using a well known brand [Heart]. It'll probably work, but for those who really like their radio to be local, well I'm afraid you've just attended the funeral and buried the dead. RIP Essex FM.” See

For more on Essex Radio and Essex FM visit: and, for sound extracts,

Charles Potiphar centenary

Ralph Vaughan Williams’ visit to Ingrave in 1903 is remembered this year with the death of Charles Potiphar, the labourer from Ingrave, who sang to the composer folk songs. On the internet I found a potted family tree for this man but wonder whether the descendents know of his fame and contribution to English music of the twentieth century. When I visited the site on 21 June, the date of his death (21.6.1909) was missing.

The Essex Record Office has reference to Charles Potipher (or Potiphar) under the following reference:

The Ralph Vaughan Williams Society has reference to a book specifically on the composer’s time in Essex:

Revd. Nathaniel Ward of Stondon Massey

‘A memoir of the Rev. Nathaniel Ward, A.M.’ by John Ward Dean has appeared on Google Books. For more, follow this link:

Classic Ingatestone Publication on Google Books

‘Ingatestone and the Great Essex Road with Fryerning’ by E E Wilde, dated 1913, is available to view on the Internet:

High Ongar War Memorial

‘Harlowirish’ has posted the following entry on ‘Flicker’. Go to:

RAF 46 Squadron

Those interested in the heroic deeds of airmen of Essex during the First World War and Second World War may be interested to read the potted history of No 46 Squadron RAF:

Shellow Bowells

On the list:

Flicker Pictures

St John’s Green, Writtle: and


For an extensive list of links to other sites go to: